Saturday, January 22, 2011

Unnecessary things I've gotten used to

Both of my parents drive Priuses (Prii?).  Both cars are "loaded", but my mom's is newer and has heated seats, which for some strange reason, my dad's doesn't.  I have no idea why Toyota would include every other luxury but leave out (in my opinion) the most important feature!  My brother and I share a ten year old Saab, and even IT has heated seats.  I mean how frivolous and obnoxiously Western are heated seats.  We (when I say "We", I really mean "me") have gotten to a place where we can't even sit on standard, regular, room temperature car seats.  I'm not complaining.  I am ALWAYS cold.  Heated seats make winter a tinge more bearable for me.  Needless to say, today I went with my mom while she ran some errands.  We took my dad's car (it's the more spoiled of the two, getting to live in the garage rather than sitting in the frigid driveway, and therefore takes little time to warm up).  I climbed in and had a micro-wave of panic when I remembered that this Prius is the inadequate (I use that term loosely) of the two.  No heated seats.  I thought to myself, "I really like heated seats.  I don't like that they don't exist here.  My butt is cold.  I want a slice of pizza."  Stream of consciousness.  My mom verbalized my thought by adding, "I really like the heated seats."  I guess what I'm getting at is:  We.  Are.  Spoiled.  Heated seats, DVR, cable television in general, internet, smartphones.  I'm not trying to preach about the frippery (yeah, I just used the word frippery) of Western society, it's just that holy cow do we live life with things we consider absolutely essential that really aren't.  And no, the irony of me writing this on my laptop, for an inconsequential, self-indulgent blog (we have blogs!  see what I'm saying?) while watching Lindsay Lohan's version of "The Parent Trap" on my flat screen at the end of my overly blanketed bed, is not lost on me.  I know it's totally ridiculous.  Good thing I dig irony.  I'm still wondering how to say "Prius", but plural. 


2 comments:

  1. i can live without the heated seats but theres no going back to regular tv after dvr. "Wait what'd he say?" I rewind if i miss one word of dialogue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha. I hear ya. I do the same thing.

    ReplyDelete